Instant Pot® Chicken Fajita Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Active cook time: 15 minutes (+ time to come to pressure and 10 min. natural release)
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
½ medium red onion, sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 medium Poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 14-oz. can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, with liquid
3 c. chicken broth, preferably organic
2 t. ground cumin
1 T. chili powder
2 t. Mexican oregano, dried
1 t. garlic powder
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 T. fresh lime juice
2 large avocados, sliced
3 T. red onion, chopped
Shredded Mexican cheese blend
Fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add red onion, bell peppers, and Poblano pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until the onion and peppers are crisp-tender and develop a bit of color, approximately 4-5 minutes. Switch unit to “off” and transfer veggies to a bowl. Set aside.
2. Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place chicken in Instant Pot®, along with tomatoes, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, Mexican oregano, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
3. Add the lid and set the pressure valve to “sealing.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set cook time to 10 minutes. When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
4. Remove lid and shred chicken breasts with two forks. Add sautéed veggies, black beans and lime juice. Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.
5. Allow soup to sit on “Warm” setting for several minutes until the veggies and beans are heated through. Serve immediately topped with sliced avocados, red onion, Mexican cheese, and fresh cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!